jojo-mama

I am a new stay at home mom who used to have the instant gratification of working at newspapers for more than 15 years. some days i miss seeing my name in print. maybe this will help.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

It was girls' night a couple weeks ago and I was child-free for at least a few hours.

I couldn't get out of the house faster.

I was to meet the other gals for dinner at 6:15 and my departure time got earlier and earlier. I made and fed my family dinner by 4:30pm and announced I was on the way out.

My husband said: "don't think I don't notice that you are leaving an hour and a half before dinner and several hours before your movie starts...."

"Traffic" I said as I click my heels and closed the front door.

I had the music blasting on my corolla's 1992 stereo speakers so loud that I didn't hear my cell phone ring. I was holding the phone.

"smells like teen spirit" was playing and I had a flashback to the teen angst I thought I would never feel or understand again. The adolescent mix feeling of pent up emotion, rebellion and freedom.

I sang over the music and had the windows down. I was free. We laughed and told stories and ate burgers and fries and nobody changed a diaper.

Hours later, on the way home from the movies, I couldn't wait to see my kids again. I wanted to sleep on the floor of their room except that just seemed too tragic.

What is the song you roll your windows down to and sing over?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This will totally date me but here goes:

Band: Dramarama
Song: Anything, Anything
circa: 1985

Loud and fast. Very cool.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Glyn Norman said...

For some reason:

Jane, by Jefferson Starship.

I just love belting that one out, that I suffer from envy of the guy's voice every time I hear it.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

OK, I may get in trouble for this, but here's my song:

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

Oh my, it's the best turn-up-the-music-loud-and-roll-down-the-windows song ever. EVER.

Now, if I'm with my husband, it's gotta be Erasure's River Deep Mountain High. We know every word.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home