jojo-mama

I am a new stay at home mom who used to have the instant gratification of working at newspapers for more than 15 years. some days i miss seeing my name in print. maybe this will help.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

What I think of as luxuries

Coming from poverty -- and brief homelessness -- growing up, today I felt very rich because of a couple recent, seemingly simple purchases:

1. Always having milk or affording to buy it.

2. Being able to buy bras and underwear more than once every other year...before they are full of holes and the color is faded and dull.

3. A white purse because it has always seemed too limited to one or two seasons: spring and summer. I always get tan, black, navy or maybe red to wear year round. I bought my first WHITE one last week and I smile every time I use it. The best part: it was on sale and it was only $20 at Target and I still paused before I bought it.

4. Fresh expensive fruit like cherries, purple grapes, raspberries and blackberries.

5. Soft, white bread.

6. Lunch meat from the deli

7. Barrets

8. Gas in my car

9. For some reason, I feel like a provider (and I don't even work) when I buy a huge box of diapers.

10. Pajamas. I grew up sleeping in sweats or a t-shirt and underwear. Buying matching, cute PJs seems like a unneeded expense.

The best part about buying all of these is my husband sees them as necessities and doesn't blink when I make a purchase. As a matter of fact, he doesn't understand my hesitation. I love that about him and his normal childhood.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Your husband is such a good guy. A keeper, that's for sure!

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home